NBA Betting Sites: The Best NBA Betting Sites in New Zealand 2023
Given how popular the NBA is around the world, it’s not surprising that NBA betting has also taken off in New Zealand. But knowing where to find the best NBA odds and how to place your bets can be a challenge if you’re just starting out. That’s why we’ve put together a list of the top NBA betting sites for NZ punters.
Whether you’re looking to place a bet on the NBA championship, the NBA finals or NBA futures, we’ve got you covered. We’ll also provide some helpful information about betting markets, how to bet and tips and strategies. Whether you’re watching the Los Angeles Lakers or the Boston Celtics, our tips will help.
So, let’s take a look at some of the best-rated sites for NBA odds in NZ…
Best Rated NBA Betting Sites
NBA Betting Markets
While there are a lot of online bookmakers available, there are many betting sites that will have relatively poor odds. Or worse betting options compared to others (e.g. weaker moneyline odds).
Fortunately, at CasinoCrawlers, our dedicated team has put together a comprehensive list of the best betting sites for NBA betting that you’ll find.
Before we include a sportsbook or betting site on our list, we analyse the quality of the sites through a comprehensive system that checks important factors such as customer service, competitive odds, winnings payout, better safety, and availability of matches. If you are on the lookout for something other than betting, you can check out our online casino list to find a casino that fits your taste.
The NBA Championship
The NBA (or National Basketball Association) is the top national basketball league in North America and the most popular basketball league in the world. It has cemented its status as of the top professional sports leagues in the United States and Canada, the league has 30 teams (29 in the United States and 1 in Canada).
The Basketball Association of America, the league’s original name, was established in New York City on June 6, 1946. After combining with the rival National Basketball League, it changed its name to the National Basketball Association on August 3, 1949. (NBL).
The American Basketball Association (ABA) and the NBA joined in 1976, expanding the NBA by four franchises.
NBA is thought of to be the competition with the highest level of basketball that exists in the world. Due to the allure of playing in the NBA and achieving NBA playoffs glory, the best players from around the globe have flocked to the league to try their hand at winning the NBA finals.
Some of the best international basketball players in history have joined the NBA, including Yao Ming from China and Pau Gasol from Spain, and as a result of stars like this joining the ranks of the NBA, its popularity has expanded internationally. Of course, legends such as Michael Jordan have also massively contributed to making the NBA what it is today.
How The Modern NBA Game Works
The NBA of today is enjoyed internationally and is one of the most popular sports in the world, meaning that you’ll find live betting, betting sites and NBA predictions everywhere you go.
The NBA has 30 clubs split between two conferences, each of which has four divisions. In a regular NBA season, each team plays 82 games. No matter how poor the record is, the top seed in each division is automatically granted a playoff spot. There would be a total of eight playoff slots as a result.
The four teams in each conference with the next-best records that did not win their division choose the other eight. So, each year, 16 of the 30 teams reach the playoffs. Eight players each from the Western and Eastern Conferences.
Each playoff is referred to as a best-of-seven-game series. In other words, the first team to beat its opponent four times progresses. It’s only necessary to play Games 5, 6, and 7 if the result hasn’t yet been decided.
To advance in the playoffs, a team must win this best-of-seven-game series against three opponents from their own conference in order to advance to the finals. They will then face the team from the opposing conference.
A West squad and an East team face off in a regular seven-game series in the finals. For example, the Milwaukee Bucks vs the Golden State Warriors.
In any case, the seven-game series goes as follows (from the standpoint of the higher-seeded club with home-court advantage):
- two home games
- two road games
- one home game
- one away game
- one home game.
So one team out of the two will be the home team on one more occasion than the other. This can increase the odds.
How to Bet on The NBA
Pros & Cons of NBA BettingHere are some pros and cons to consider if you're thinking about placing a wager on NBA betting markets.
- Virtually all bookies offer you the chance to make a wager on an NBA game
- There is heaps of information and advice available for NBA betting
- Games are frequent
- Promotions are available online at most major sportsbooks
- You can lose your wager if you back the wrong team or player
- There can be limited coverage of NBA games in New Zealand without paying for access
- Usually, there are many variables at play during an NBA game
NBA Betting in New Zealand
While NBA is played in the U.S., it’s popular all around the world, including in New Zealand. There are plenty of betting sites and online bookies where you can place a wager, including multiple bets and betting lines on offer.
During a standard season, each team typically plays 82 games. That means you’ve got over 1,200 games available to place a bet. And there’s a heap of different bets you can choose from when betting on the NBA. For example, you can bet on your favourite NBA teams, such as the Oklahoma City Thunder or the LA Lakers. Or you can place a money line bet, individual player performance or futures betting.
Whatever your preferred bet, there are plenty of NBA betting options available for New Zealand punters.
NBA Betting Tips
When you’re getting into NBA betting, you’re going to want to research everything the bookies are providing from free bets to team stats and any other additional bonuses.
The Home Team Advantage is Overrated
Although home-court advantage exists, it is overrated.
The home-court advantage is normally worth three points, according to the oddsmakers. Public bettors prefer to wager on home teams, which causes bookmakers to further favour home teams, forcing casual bettors to accept exorbitant odds.
This adds value to the purchase of cheap road teams. This advantage might be even stronger this year because many teams will play in front of few or no spectators, thus decreasing the advantage of playing at home.
Go Against The Flow
Going against the flow or “betting against the public” is a great choice because the NBA market is comprised of a huge portion of cash from recreational punters who want to try their luck on a bit of NBA betting.
The general populace is usually the loser against the house. There are many people in the betting markets who wager based on emotions and reactionary motions rather than statistics and research.
Naturally, the house prevails.
Therefore, breaking the herd mentality and acting against the grain can be a successful long-term tactic. The nationally televised prime-time games on TNT and ESPN are the best opportunities to wager against the public.
The public wagers on anything that is on television. Consider this: If you enter a pub and everyone is cheering for Team A, you probably want to be in possession of a ticket for Team B.
Find the Best Line by Research
The sports betting industry is dynamic and always evolving. Timing is everything, just as in real life. Choosing the best number is just as important as choosing the right side.
Before placing a wager, a potential punter should always look around for the best moneyline.
Make certain you can access several sportsbooks. Look for the book with great odds. Find the book that is providing Heat + 6.5 while others are displaying + 6 if you want to bet on the Heat.
Over the course of a long season, extra half-points mean everything.
Stay On the Ball With Your Cash
The NBA season is lengthy, including multiple games every day. Bettors should make every effort to maintain their focus and restrict their wagers to the most lucrative games of the day. Betting on numerous games increases risk and might result in significant ups and downs.
Flat betting, which involves risking the same sum on each game and only 1% to 5% of your bankroll per play, is a fantastic long-term strategy. A nice middle is 3%.
Using a $100 bankroll as a starting point entails wagering $3 on each game. Although it may not sound appealing, it will support you in the long run and see you through the ups and downs that come with NBA betting.
Take Note of The Road
The general population enjoys placing bets on favourites. This seems reasonable at first glance. If you’re going to wager on a team, you might as well support the squad that is considered to be “better” and is likely to win.
However, this bias also produces shaded lines in favour of favourites, giving underdogs more value.
Road dogs are frequently valuable because people prefer their local favourites. Focusing on road dogs with a rest advantage is another crucial factor. The 82-game NBA schedule is jam-packed with travel and back-to-back games.
When placing a wager, bettors should always take these considerations into account, especially if one team is fatigued and the other is refreshed.
Type of NBA Odds
When you first start betting on an NBA game, the odds can seem overwhelming. After all, there are a lot of numbers and percentages to get your head around! But, there is a formula and a structure that makes sense. So it won’t take long for you to get used to it all.
If you’re new to deciphering sports betting odds, follow our in-depth guide on how to do so effectively.
Here are some of the commonly found metrics you’ll see when consulting a bookie and placing NBA bets.
Head to Head
Head-to-head bets can be known by different names, depending on the online sportsbook you’re using to make your wager. You’re effectively choosing who you think will win the match. They can also be called a match result, match winner or money line bet. There’s no option for a draw in a head-to-head NBA bet. That’s because in the NBA, all games go into overtime to ensure there’s a clear winner.
Total Points Scored
In an NBA game, you’re able to bet on the total points scored during the game. The online bookmaker will set a line, and you’ll need to bet over or under the number. For example, a total of 195 points combined between both teams. Some online bookmakers also allow you to bet on whether the total number of points will be an even or an odd number. You don’t need much skill or knowledge of basketball to make an even or odd number bet! Unlike many of the other bets you can place, this just comes down to pure luck.
A handicap bet is when the online sportsbook gives one team a handicap. This is done by adding or minusing points. And then putting a wager on whether they’ll win with the handicap applied. It’s also known as a points spread bet. Another similar type of bet is a margin bet. This is when you choose the score margin by which you think the winning team will win by. For example, between 5 to 10 points or over 20 points.
There are some online bookmakers who allow you to place a wager on who you think will score the first basket. Or the team that you believe will score the first basket. If you place a bet live, you’ll also be able to bet on which team or individual player will score the next basket during the game. Or even the type of basket you predict will be next, such as a three-pointer, field goal or free throw.
When it comes to NBA betting, you can place a wager on various individual player bets. For example, the number of free throws you think a player will have during a match or a season. Or the total points scored, minutes played or even the number of three-pointers. Some online sportsbooks will even let you place a bet on whether you think a player will be ejected during a match!
When you place a wager on NBA futures, you’re predicting results that won’t be decided on until late in the season. For example, which team will win the playoffs, which player will be the Most Valued Player in the playoffs or the teams that you think will make the playoffs. Because the games are a long way into the future and the NBA can be an unpredictable game, futures can offer excellent odds.
NBA Over/Under Odds (Totals)
You can participate in the action without supporting a certain team by placing NBA totals bets. Totals betting, also known as over/under betting, requires you to guess whether the final score will be higher or lower than the total determined by the oddsmakers.
By choosing “total” under preferences, you may compare NBA over/unders. The sum will appear as a huge number with the letters (o) and (u). Speculate on whether the final score will be over or under this sum.
You’ll see odds for choosing the over or under, just like the point spread. With a few exceptions, you can anticipate seeing these odds when betting on basketball totals in the vicinity of -105 to -115.
NBA Odds Point Spread
When placing a wager on NBA spread odds, you can support either team, even when they aren’t evenly matched.
When placing a wager on the spread, the favourite gives points, whereas the final score of the underdog gets points added to it. The number of points given or taken is known as the spread; you’ll see this figure next to a (+) for the underdog (because they are receiving additional points) and a (-) for the favourite (since points are being deducted).
The favourite needs to win by the point spread’s margin in order to cover the spread.
Anytime they win the game handily or lose by a narrower margin than the spread specifies, the underdogs cover.
You’ll see odds similar to those on the money line sitting by the point spread. For the majority of NBA point spreads, this will often be in the neighbourhood of -105 to -115, denoting the sum you must wager in order to win $100.
Top 5 NBA Sportsbooks
Here are the top five NBA sportsbooks that we recommend:
- Casumo: This award-winning casino was founded in 2012 in Sweden. It has extensive experience in the online gaming world, with welcome bonuses and an optimised site for mobiles.
- IviBet: This online casino also offers video slots, jackpots and live dealer titles in addition to sports betting. Their bonus terms are in line with gambling industry standards, and they’ve received positive feedback from punters.
- Treasure Spins: This online casino offers a range of payment methods and a positive player experience. It uses SSL encryption for excellent player security and a range of casino games in addition to sports bets.
- Oceanbet: Offering sports betting and slot machines, this site is optimised for mobile devices. They offer a convenient and enjoyable gambling experience and lots of markets, including NBA, football, tennis, horse racing and more.
- Flappy Casino: This casino has been around since 2003. In addition to sports betting for NBA games, it also offers a range of online games, bonuses and the ability to make deposits and withdrawals via various payment methods.
How To Get The Best NBA Odds
Here are a few tips to help you get the best NBA odds to boost your chances of securing a win:
- Look at multiple betting sites: Check and compare odds at different NBA bookmakers to find the best odds for your specific bet. You won’t need to register an account to check odds. Accounts are free to set up, and once you’re registered you’ll be able to place your bet quickly.
- Be on the lookout for promotional offers: Many betting apps and sites offer bonuses and promotions for both new and existing account holders. Depending on each site, you can access money-back specials, odds boost or NBA multi boosts.
- Place multi-bets: When you combine multiple bets, you can multiply your odds, helping to make your returns higher than placing individual bets. For example, if you choose four or five selections with some online bookmakers, you’ll automatically be offered boosted odds. Some sites will also give you money-back insurance if one of your selections loses.
- Bet live: When you bet live, you can take advantage of better odds. That’s because odds frequently change throughout an NBA game. That means you can monitor live odds to achieve better returns.
NBA Betting Bonuses
Bookmakers offer various bonuses and promotions targeting both new customers and existing punters.
Sign up Bonuses
New customers are typically offered welcome bonuses, which are typically free bets or deposit bonuses.
- Free bets: These are one of the most common types of bonuses. These are either a fixed amount, matched by the bookmaker or are based on your initial deposit amount. You may need to place an initial qualifying bet to be able to secure a free bets promotion. Usually, your free bets will have an expiry date, so make sure you check so you don’t lose them.
- Deposit bonus: These bonuses are usually only given to new customers. A bookmaker may match your first deposit with bonus bets. A 100% matched deposit means that up to the prescribed limit set by the sports betting site, they’ll match your deposit with bonus bets. For example, if you deposit $50, the bookmaker will add $50 bonus bets to your account.
Bonuses for existing customers
Free bets are also a common promotion for existing players. But sites also offer a range of other popular bonuses to try to encourage loyalty and keep customers coming back to place their bets, such as:
- Enhanced odds: This offer is when a sportsbook temporarily boosts the normal betting odds for selected games. They can also be known as an odds boost, odds rush, or odds push. It can be applied to a specific game, tournament or an entire market.
- Odds boost: This promotion is when the odds for a game are increased.
- Money back: Also known as a cashback offer, this is when a sportsbook refunds your wager if you lose your bet. Usually, the refund is given as bonus credit and can’t be withdrawn as cash from your online account.
- Multi boosts: When you bet on three or more games, you’ll be entitled to a multi-boost. This appears on your bet as a percentage and is applicable to a maximum of 20 games.
- Early payout: With this promotion, you have the option to take profits early on a bet that you’re likely to win or to cut your losses if you think you’re going to lose.
NBA betting FAQ
Can I Win Real Money With NBA Betting?
Yes! It's definitely possible to win real money with NBA betting, as you'll find plenty of opportunities with sports betting sites with fantastic odds and an NBA game virtually every day.
Is it Safe To Bet on The NBA?
It is perfectly safe to bet on the NBA, as long as you're going through a reputed and trusted sportsbook and betting sites, such as the ones listed on CasinoCrawlers.
Is it Legal to Bet on the NBA in New Zealand?
NBA betting in New Zealand is completely legal for Kiwis to engage in, provided the bookie in question is verified, licensed and legitimate.
What's The Best Strategy For NBA Betting?
The best strategy for NBA betting is the same as all other sports. Stay informed, follow the game, make logical decisions and don't bet with emotion.
Noah is the senior content editor at CasinoCrawlers and a writer with many iGaming articles under his portfolio. Therefore, he is skilled at writing bonus guidelines, gambling strategies, and casino reviews. During his spare time, he enjoys playing Call of Duty and is a huge rugby fan.Read more about the author